I have extremely dry skin, meaning it is essential that I continually follow a moisturizing skin care regiment… especially in the upcoming colder months! If I happen to miss even a single night of creams, I’ll awake in the morning with flakes galore- which is obviously no good. And trying to create a flawless makeup finish with dry skin is next to impossible! So, as you can imagine, dry skin is my arch nemesis. With this, I very much value skin care.
Skin care is an important life investment. You only get one chance at maintaining a youthful complexion. I find it necessary to splurge on skin care treatments over any other luxury. In fact, if you have to choose between splurging on skin care or splurging on makeup, choose skin care. No matter how expensive your makeup is, if your skin’s a mess then your makeup will be as well. I cannot stress how important it is to take care of your skin. Ahhh.
If you’re looking to discover what should be incorporated into your daily skin care routine, look no further..
Morning: Cleanse & moisturize.
Evening (Now repeat after me): Remove makeup, cleanse, tone, anti aging treatment/ moisturize. Also exfoliating the face 2-3 times per week, and masks once a week.
Of course there are additional skin care steps different skin types should implement into their routines. For instance, when I have an acne flare up (or can feel I am about to have one for that matter) I will apply some Proactiv Plus Pore Targeting Solution to the affected area. This instantly minimizes the problem area by morning! I could go into such detail on how to maintain/ improve clear skin, but I’ll write a separate blog post regarding that matter as there is far too much to say!
Now, you may wonder “Quinn’s only 20 years old, why would she be using an anti aging treatment?” Welllll, a couple years ago I would have wondered the exact same thing, but I do have my reasonings. Think about how much easier it is to prevent wrinkles from forming, than from trying to erase them altogether once they’re already formed. Boom. Mind blown, I know. I’m not saying it’s necessary to wear a crazy amount of anti aging creams every night, but I do suggest to at least apply some to common wrinkle areas. I apply cream below my nose, to my under eyes, and my forehead.
So here comes the best part; the products I regularly use in my skin care regiment.
- Cleanser: Fresh’s Soy Face Cleanser. This cleanser is ever so gentle on my sensitive skin, leaving it feeling soft and clean. It also has a light cucumber scent, which I find to be quite relaxing.
- Moisturizer: Origins’ VitaZing SPF 15 Energy Boosting Moisturizer with a sheer tint or Kate Somerville’s Nourish Daily Moisturizer. I love the idea behind this Origins’ product; however, I’m still slightly on the fence. With an extremely fair skin tone, the colour targeting technology turns the cream a shade too dark for my liking. With this, I recently picked up Kate Somerville’s daily moisturizer.. which I am just loving! I highly recommend any and all Kate Somerville products. Perhaps this Origins’ sheer tinted moisturizer may work better on other skin tones, but I don’t recommend it for those with a fair complexion.
- Under Eye Treatment de-puff: Origins’ GinZing Refreshing Eye Cream or Kate Somerville’s Goat Milk De-Puffing Eye Balm. I find these products work best if I apply them both during the evening, as well as during the day. However, I feel it vital to ensure daily application for noticeable results.
- Lip Care: Rosebud Perfume Co.’s RosebudSalve or Dior’s Crème de Rose Smoothing Plumping Lip Balm (SPF 10!!). Clearlyyy I have a thing for rose scented products. They make me ever so happy, as do smooth lips. Which is why I highly recommend both of these products. Dior’s Crème de Rose can be a bit pricey, retailing at $35, but is well worth it. If you’re looking to try something on the cheaper side, then I recommend opting for Rosebud Perfume Co.’s Rosebud Salve, which retails at $7.50.
- Hand Care: Gold Bond’s Moisturizing Lotion with Aloe. Hello to the cold weather and hello to the cracked hands that come with it. I’ll keep this one short and sweet- use Gold Bond.
- Makeup Remover: Coconut oil. I mean you knew it was going to be in this post somewhere. I am one of those individuals obsessed with coconut oil, as it just works wonders with my skin type. I occasionally use this as a LIGHT daily skin moisturizer under my makeup, but I probably wouldn’t recommend this for those of you with an oily skin type. Either way, coconut oil has proven its use in yet another way. In order to wipe my face clean of any makeup residue I generously apply the oil to both a cotton pad and my eye makeup; massaging it into my skin and eye region. I also enjoy using Sephora brand’s Rose Makeup Removing Wipes for those “I was at a party until 5am and have no energy to thoroughly remove my makeup but know that I still need to” kind of nights.
- Cleanser: Fresh’s Soy Face Cleanser. Once again I use this cleanser to remove any leftover impurities that my makeup remover may have missed.
- Exfoliator (if necessary): Proactiv Plus’ Skin Smoothing Exfoliator or Kate Somerville’s ExfoliKate Intensive Exfoliating Treatment. The exfoliator I choose to use depends on my skin’s well being that day. If I can feel that I am about to have a breakout (or already have one) I’ll go with Proactiv Plus’ Skin Exfoliator. If my skin is its normal self, I like to use my “Exfolikate” by Kate Somerville- it’s the first step to glowing skin of course ;). Both of these exfoliators effectively remove any dead skin I may have; leaving my skin rejuvenated and refreshed!
- Mask (if necessary): Fresh’s Rose Hydrating Mask, Origins’ Rose Clay Mask, or Glam Glow’s Mud Mask are amongst some of my favourites. As you can tell I have a thing for clay and rose masks.. well just masks in general. Each Sunday (like literally each Sunday)
I apply a mask before my nightly shower. There are far too many masks I’m in love with, so I’m going to save these details for a separate post!
- Toner: Burt’s Bees’ Rosewater Toner. At this point you’re probably thinking “Really? Again with the roses??”. I know, I have an obsession, it’s bad. Buuuuut rosewater toner is where it’s at. It is the best toner I have ever used, and I really can’t see myself switching anytime soon. I’ve even gotten my mom hooked on it.
- Acne treatment (if necessary): Proactiv Plus. I’ve used Proactiv since I was probably 12 years old, so I can safely relay that it works. However, I did find that the original Proactiv product to be quite drying. Although it diminished the appearance of pimples, it left my skin in a flaky mess! As an individual with naturally dry skin to begin with, I felt like I had to choose between clear skin and soft skin.. which was not what I was about to do!! Thankfully, Proactiv released their Proactiv Plus line. This line not only eradicates acne over night, but it also leaves your skin with a healthy, NOT DRY, glow.
- Anti Aging Treatment: Clinique’s Superdefense Age Defense Eye Cream (SPF 20!). Now you can always combine this step with your moisturizing step, as there are a ton of wonderful anti-aging moisturizers. If you would rather collaborate the two, I suggest trying Clinique’s Super Rescue Antioxidant Night Moisturizer.
- Moisturizer: Origins’ High Potency Night-a-Mins Mineral enriched Renewal Cream. This is a holy grail product oh my goodness! Every single person with dry skin needs to invest in this; it literally transforms your skin overnight. Not only does it leave my skin feeling healthy and soft, but it also smells amazing. Whenever I go out without makeup, this product leaves my skin with the healthiest glow! Warning: if you don’t like citrusy smells, then this product is not for you.
- Lip Care: Carmex’s Classic Lip Balm, Rosebud Perfume Co.’s Rosebud Salve, or Dior’s Crème de Rose Smoothing Plumping Lip Balm. I prefer to use Carmex to repair my lips while I sleep, as I find it to be the most effective lip treatment product. Then, during the day, I like to use “prettier” lip balms- such as Rosebud Perfume Co.’s Rosebud Salve and Dior’s Crème de Rose Smoothing Plumping Lip Balm.
- Hand Care: Gold Bond’s Moisturizing Lotion with Aloe. Again, just trust me with this product.
For a more detailed review on the products, I will be posting individual review blog posts. So, stay tuned! For now, I hope you’ve enjoyed this post. Thanks for reading! Feel free to subscribe.